Now that the seasons are changing and fall is upon us, it is time to think about preparing your home and business for the cooler weather. JMark Inspections have prepared the following simple tips to help ensure your living and working spaces are ready!
Fall To Do List for Your Greater Houston, TX Home
1. Heating System – Give your furnace a test run, and make sure it is working properly. If it has been two or more years since your last inspection, call a specialist to give your furnace a tune-up. Check the air ducts and make sure they are free of dust. Change the air filter and be sure to have a few extras on hand so that you can change them regularly during the winter too.
2. Chimney and Fireplace – Sweep out your fireplace, and consider calling a chimney sweep to inspect and clean your chimney professionally.
3. Roof – Fix any loose, missing or broken shingles on your roof, and check flashing around the chimney and vents. This can help prevent costly leaks during upcoming winter storms.
4. Rain Gutters – If your rain gutters are clogged and dirty, rain or melted snow can over-flow, potentially damaging the foundation of your home! A properly designed and maintained drainage system should always direct water away from the foundation.
5. Windows & Doors – Check around windows and doors for any drafts. If needed, replace weather stripping or caulking, or consider adding additional curtains and draperies around windows to prevent the cold air from getting inside.
6. Hot Water Heater – Drain and flush your hot water heater. Sediments can build up inside your hot water tank, especially if you live in an area with hard water.
7. Ceiling Fans – Hit the reverse switch on your ceiling fans to change the direction of the fan to clockwise. This blows air up to the ceiling, helping to circulate hot air (hot air always rises) throughout the room which in turn distributes the heat more evenly and could even save you money on your upcoming heating bills!
8. Mulch Leaves – Instead of raking, use a mulching blade on your mower, without the bag, to chop dry leaves into small pieces, which fall among the blades of grass, feeding your lawn as the leaves decompose.
Home & Commercial Inspections in Pasadena, Pearland, League City, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Conroe, Friendswood & Greater Houston, Texas
JMark Inspections hope these tips are helpful as you enjoy the upcoming fall and winter months! Contact us for all your home and commercial inspection needs.