Most homeowners do not think to assess their roof tops periodically, but they should. Even if you have maintained it well over the years, your roof has a limited lifespan. The life expectancy continues to trim down with weather events and negligence. You can avoid emergency repair or replacement and damage to your home simply by paying attention to your roof’s condition. We at JMark Inspections would like to elaborate on the signs of needing a new roof.
Home Inspection Helps You Negotiate a Replacement Roof from Seller!
A home inspection detects the conditions and signs that a roof needs to be replaced. This can help the seller know to make repairs or replacements before listing on the real estate market (to sell the home faster and for more money) and also assists the buyer in negotiations.
1) Aged Rooftops. A roof approaching 25 years old should raise concerns. Roofing systems that have functioned well for nearly a quarter century may begin showing signs of wear and tear, depending upon the roof’s materials. To alert a property owner that they should start thinking about a roof replacement, a roof’s advancing age is the only sign in some cases. You should request a professional inspection if you have any doubts about the condition of an older roof.
2) Obvious Sagging of Roof. A serious roof problem relates to the lines of the roof, making this a very clear warning sign. The structural integrity of your roof may be compromised if you notice any sagging or drooping. Termite damage, water damage, or mold can be the reason this can happen. determine the reason for the sagging and correct the problem, take action as quickly as possible.
3) Asphalt Roofing Shingles that are Cracked or Warped. The most common and affordable roofing materials are asphalt shingles. They can be damaged from intense heat, sunlight, and wind while shingles often last for many years. You may need to replace all (or a portion) of the roof if you notice shingles on the roof changing in appearance. Look for shingles that are curling, cracking, and clawing.
4) Roofing Material that are Missing. A gaping hole in the roof, of course, demands immediate attention. Whether it is made from tiles, shingles, or metal, this problem starts from the exterior roofing material falling off. In the event roofing material is missing in several places, this is one of the signs you need a new roof, if the roof is just missing a couple isolated shingles, they can be replaced individually.
5) Chronic Roof Leaks. Frequent roof leaks do not bode well for the condition of a building. In some cases, wind or hail can cause enough damage to start a roof leak, just like recurring plumbing system leaks. Holes in the roof where water can enter only get larger over time. Performing repetitive repairs may be more expensive than replacing.
Home & Commercial Property Inspector Services in Pasadena, Pearland, League City, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Conroe, Friendswood & Greater Houston, Texas
Never dismiss the signs that indicate a new roof is needed. Water leaks and structural damage to your home can develop when you ignore the signs. You can prevent long term property damage by remaining alert for the symptoms of roof deterioration, including old age, visible sagging, or cracked and warped asphalt roofing shingles. During a routine home inspection, professionals inspect the roof and when the roof is in poor condition, the whole home is impacted. If you are looking to sell, buy, or prioritize the maintenance for home, whether you are concerned about the roof or other elements of the home, call JMark Inspections today to schedule your home inspections.